What causes harm to your mental health?
Although lifestyle factors including work, diet, drugs and lack of sleep can all affect your mental health, if you experience a mental health problem there are usually other factors as well. “My depression seems to flare up during times when I am stressed and isolated from other people.”
What negatively affects your mental health?
Unemployment, redundancy, loss of a business, large investment losses or other financial loss can have a negative impact on your mental health. In these circumstances, it is normal to experience a range of emotions and problems including: difficulty getting to sleep or staying asleep.
What are 5 risks of mental illness?
Common Risk Factors
- Family history of mental health problems.
- Complications during pregnancy or birth.
- Personal history of Traumatic Brain Injury.
- Chronic medical condition such as cancer or diabetes, especially hypothyroidism or other brain-related illness such as Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s.
- Use of alcohol or drugs.
What are 5 emotional signs of stress?
What are the warning signs and symptoms of emotional stress?
- Heaviness in your chest, increased heart rate or chest pain.
- Shoulder, neck or back pain; general body aches and pains.
- Grinding your teeth or clenching your jaw.
- Shortness of breath.
- Feeling tired, anxious, depressed.
How can I test my mental health?
Online screening is one of the quickest and easiest ways to determine whether you are experiencing symptoms of a mental health condition. Mental health conditions, such as depression or anxiety, are real, common and treatable. And recovery is possible.
How do you fix bad mental health?
How can I improve my mental health?
- Staying positive. …
- Practicing gratitude, which means being thankful for the good things in your life. …
- Taking care of your physical health, since your physical and mental health are connected. …
- Connecting with others. …
- Developing a sense of meaning and purpose in life.
How do I know if my mental health is declining?
Signs Your Mental Health May Be Declining
- Feeling Irritable. …
- Problems Sleeping. …
- Constant Feelings of Depression. …
- Feeling Disconnected From Reality. …
- Isolating From Friends and Family. …
- Problems Concentrating. …
- Changes in Weight or Appetite. …
- Persistent Feelings of Guilt.
Can a mental illness be cured?
Treatment can involve both medications and psychotherapy, depending on the disease and its severity. At this time, most mental illnesses cannot be cured, but they can usually be treated effectively to minimize the symptoms and allow the individual to function in work, school, or social environments.